It’s nearly time for local gardens to overflow with zucchini. Try our delicious, no-oven zucchini boat recipe. This particular recipe is plant based, but feel free to add in some cooked ground beef or turkey to boost the protein.
View the full recipe below and click here to print it out.
extra virgin olive oil
4 large zucchini
1 TB dried oregano or Italian seasoning
8 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
4 green onions, trimmed and chopped
1/2 c feta, crumbled (optional)
8 to 10 fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley or dill, chopped
zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt, (or to taste)
Preparing the Filling:
Add all of the ingredients (except zucchini) into a bowl and toss together.
Prepping the Zucchini:
- Put the zucchini halves into a bowl and drizzle with 2 TB olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil the grates of your grill or griddle and heat it up to medium high.
- Once it’s hot, place the zucchini flesh side down and grill about 4 minutes. You want to give them enough time for the flavor to really deepen. It’s okay if there are some char marks. (that’s a good thing.)
- Flip the zucchini over and grill for another 4-5 minutes with the skin side down.
- Remove the zucchini from the heat and let them cool until they are cool enough to handle.
Assembling the Zucchini Boats:
Scoop out the center of each zucchini and add it to the filling
Squeeze or blot the liquid from the grilled zucchini.
Scoop in the filling and enjoy!