New England beef stew is the perfect recipe for a cold, winter night. While the weather may not be too cold this year, there’s plenty of wet weather drawing us inside to enjoy a hot bowl of stew.
Our local, grass-fed stew meat from Maine Family Farms is the perfect base for this beef stew recipe. You can make this recipe on the stovetop or save some time and add it all to your slow cooker. Either way it’s a great Sunday meal to enjoy as we count down the days until Patriots Day and the arrival spring.
In season, we get our carrots and onions from Ward’s Berry Farm in Sharon. We can’t wait till the local farms are up and running again with fresh, local produce.
Add the ingredients for New England beef stew to your next grocery delivery order. We delivered throughout the Greater Boston area. Head to our Delivery page to see if we offer free grocery delivery to your area.
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup dry red wine
12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
2 1/4 cups beef broth
5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes, halved
1 tablespoon sea salt
- Pat the cubed meat dry, then season with salt and pepper. Toss the meat in the flour.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high. Add the meat to the pan in a single layer without crowding it. Brown on all sides, about 5-6 minutes total. Remove the meat and transfer to a bowl. Repeat with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and meat.
- Add the red wine to the pan and scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the wine mixture over the meat.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Add the onions and mushroom and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add the meat and juices back to the pan. Add beef broth, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and 1 tablespoon of sea salt to the pan. Add pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 2 1/2 hours until the vegetables are tender and the meat shreds easily. Stew serves 6.
Pair with a fresh loaf of bread like our new Sourdough Pullman.
Morrissey Market offers free grocery delivery in Eastern Massachusetts. Shop our selection of farm-fresh produce, local meat, dairy, artisan groceries and more. New customers can sign up here and save 15% on their first online grocery order.