This Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats recipe will become a cool-weather favorite in your house. It is easy to make the night before a busy morning and a welcome treat as you run out the door.
We use the Maine Grains cracked oats. They are called “cracked” instead of steel-cut because they use a traditional stone milling process that protects more of the nutrients of the oats. So not only is this a delicious, easy-to-make breakfast in your slow cooker, but it’s also really healthy.
A list of ingredients and cooking instructions is below. Shop our ingredients collection and add all the necessary ingredients to your next order. If you want to make this leisurely on a Sunday morning and use your stove top instead of a slow cooker, we have instructions for that too.
- 3/4 cup Maine Grains cracked oats (or steel-cut)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (or heavy cream or oatly milk)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
1. In a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup, mix together all of the ingredients and stir to combine.
2. In a large slow cooker, place the measuring cup or bowl inside. Fill the slow cooker with water to surround the measuring cup or bowl to the same level as the oatmeal, being careful not to overflow.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or overnight.
4. Carefully remove the cover and stir the oats. Portion into bowls and serve warm. Top with chopped walnuts, Humble Bones granola, or some freshly chopped apples for a little crunch.
If you want to make this without a slow cooker, add all ingredients to a medium-sized saucepan. Cook on medium-low for about 30 minutes until the oats are tender.
Recipe inspired by Simple Bites.